There are a number of reasons why staying at a homestay should be opted to staying in a hotel. I have noticed that every time I tell someone to stay in a Homestay or suggest them one, they go like… why should we stay in someone else’s house when hotels are there. Well this is why I am writing this post; to throw some light on living the most authentic, traditional and relaxed way!
The benefits of living in a Homestay :
- Distinctive and Characterful Accommodations — Are you tired of monotonous hotels? There’s no better way to experience the incredibly diversity and charm of India than at a homestay. You can choose from a range of options including plantation bungalows, heritage homestays and rural/village stay.
- Personalized Service — Homestay’s may have fewer rooms as compared to a Hotel. This is because the family who resides there runs it, and acts as host.The positive of this being you will receive plenty of personal attention and care. You can spend as little or as much time with the host family as you like. Some guests choose only to dine with them, while others spend hours chatting with them. Regardless, staying with an Indian family is the easiest way of finding out about Indian culture and way of life. Many guests and hosts find that they bond with each other so much, that they keep in touch long after the vacation is over. It will personify the term “Home away from Home”.
- Local Knowledge — The wealth of information that the hosts have about their local area makes deciding what to see and do, a breeze. Such local knowledge is extremely helpful in getting the most from your visit. Many hosts are delighted to show their guests around their local area, providing them with invaluable insights that simply aren’t available from a guide-book.
- Home Cooked Food — If your taste buds crave for authentic Indian food made with recipes passed down from generations, here is where your search will end. There’s a huge difference between the Indian food served in restaurants and hotels, and the food that’s cooked in an Indian home. By staying at a homestay, you’ll be able to taste authentic Indian home cooked food, personalized to suit your tastes and health. It’s a lot lighter, and has more variation and flavor than restaurant food. Some homestay’s even welcome their guests into their kitchen, and let them watch and take part in the cooking process. How good is that?
- Unique Activities — As a guest at a homestay, the focus will be on you, and your likes and preferences. The hosts are usually very accommodating and will put a great deal of effort into arranging activities that are of interest to you. These activities will vary depending on place. Exploring a rice plantation in Alleppey, watching a local craftsman create his new masterpiece, herding animals in remote northern India, village visits, school visits and bonding with local kids,picnics, and temple tours are just some of the options. The possibilities of bonding with the locals and being a part of them and their culture are endless. Guests are often invited to attend weddings, or other festivals that are happening, as well.
- Cost effective –Homestay’s are often a more cost-effective way of planning your travel experience. Not only will they guarantee you a local yet authentic experience, but you’re also it will be light on your pocket, depending on the kind of homestay you choose. Having said that,there are different varieties of Home stay’s : Heritage, Village, Houseboat, Regular Homestay to name a few.. Most of them will offer you meals/other activities as a part of the stay which is a boon.
Staying at a homestay in India is all about immersing yourself in India, rather skimming over it on the tourist trail.
How do you know if Homestay chosen is Good/Credible?
I make sure I look up on the internet and Trip Advisor to check the reviews other people have written about that Homestay. It always works for me and I’m sure it will for you !
How should you interact with Hosts?What can you expect from them?
Every Homestay that we have stayed have brought us closer to the hosts and their families. You know the reason? The reason is the hosts and their family will treat you just like a long-lost member of their family. You can go and relax in your room, ask for your favorite dish for dinner, go out with them as they show you their farm or village. Basically you are going to experience the warm hospitality of Indians that you have just heard of, never witnessed! Go for it, you will love it.
Indian Destinations with Excellent Homestay Facilities:
Soul Indian Journeys have handpicked the best of the homestay experiences for you to experience. We strive our best to give you moments and ways to bond with India, without sacrificing the quality in your budget. We promise you a holiday, that you shall remember for a lifetime!
© All content, text and photos on this blog are copyrighted by Soul Indian Journeys and may not be used without explicit permission.