Do you want to spend your next long weekend on a hidden beach or sand board your way down the golden sand dunes without spending on an air ticket to Queensland or the Sahara Desert ? We got your back on this one! There is a place 3 hours from Sydney where crowds gather to watch humpback whales and dolphins glide past. Where turquoise waves curl onto vast, virgin beaches. A place where you ride camels against a magnificent beach on one side and golden sand dunes on the other. Where you can head to eat freshly made best fish and chips in a vibrant town. Find out why we feel this little town outside Sydney is where you should head if you are looking for a complete holiday!
This destination was mistaken to be Queensland in Australia’s TV Commercial “So Where the bloody hell are you?”
More about Port Stephens:
Port Stephens is located mere 3 hour drive outside Sydney. The eastern tip of Port Stephens will take you to virgin beaches like Fingal Bay and Shoal Bay. Just to the south of Fingal Bay ( towards Sydney) lies One Mile beach, yet another gem of a beach. Here is where you can camp or book a cabin just meters away from the turquoise blue sea. To the left of One Mile beach, lie the Anna Bay in close proximity to the Stockton Bay Sand dunes, Southern Hemispheres largest sand dunes. Also worth seeing are Boat Harbor, Nelsons bay and Salamander Bay. It is also the best place to get up close and personal with the whales, dolphins and seals. What’s more, Port Stephens has few of the best restaurants and eateries you’d love to splurge on!
Things you can do:
- If you’re an adventure lover then sand boarding or quad biking on Stockton Sand dunes is the best thing for you.
- We enjoyed riding a bike around the many beautiful beachfront roads of Port Stephens and I am sure you will too. You can rent a bike from Shoal bay bike hire or Boomerang bike.
- If you’re into boats then BYOB or hire a yacht, Jet Ski, kayak, ski boat or cruiser and discover the many rivers, bays, marinas, islands and off-shore adventures that this destination has to offer.
- Take a Dolphin or whale cruise
- Camp by One Mile Beach at one of the Holiday Parks
- Try the sumptuous seafood at any of the restaurants at Anna Bay or at our favourite, John Dory Seafood
- Take a romantic walk on the golden sands of Fingal Bay Beach
- Enjoy Camel riding as the sun goes down on Birubi Beach at Anna Bay
- Enjoy your mornings in any of the interesting markets that Port Stephens has such as Tomaree, Anna Bay, Artisans or Medowie markets
- Head to Little beach to feed the pelicans