Here are 14 ways you can enrich your travel experiences by interacting with locals on your next holiday!
- Stay in a Homestay, “live like a local”.
- Leave your car , travel in local transport.
- Learn to cook local cuisine with a local.
- Let a local show you the best places to shop.
- Explore your destination on foot, as much as you can.
- Enjoy local/ street food, “eat like a local”.
- Ditch the mall/supermarket and go visit a local handicraft center.
- Volunteer for a worthy cause.
- Go visit a local school and interact with children.
- Learn key phrases in the local language.
- Ask questions, you will get much more personalized answers then that 400 Page guide-book could ever give you!
- Avoid the bigger cities and visit smaller towns/villages instead. Here people will be much more hospitable and friendly and will go out of their way to help you in what ever way they can.
- Be a part of at least one local festival with a local and let them explain to you the importance/ uniqueness of it to them! You will love it.
- Express your gratitude with a token of appreciation when its time for you to leave your host/village tour guide or new friend. After all life is made up of countless memories like this, that make the journey fun :).
© All content, text and photos on this blog are copyrighted by Soul Indian Journeys and may not be used without explicit permission.